Our Green Commitment
Our team at Trade Winds Dental is committed to practicing dentistry in a way
that is not only comfortable and relaxing to our patients, but gentle to our
environment, as well. Dr. Hennington was the first dentist in the Austin area
and is one of less than ten dentists in Texas who became a member of the
Eco-Dentistry Association (EDA). The EDA is an organization of dental
professionals dedicated to the practice of green dentistry. Applying the
concepts of green dentistry optimizes high tech innovations to reduce waste and
pollution, plus save energy and water. This decreases our overall environmental
impact and improves patient and team wellness with every business decision we
make. We believe environmental stewardship is an American tradition that dates
back to not only the first European settlers, but to our Native American
ancestors, as well. In short, we believe in the four Rs: Re-think, Reduce,
Re-use, and Recycle. It is a common sense approach that results in a healthier
office space for patients and team members. Additionally, green dentistry can
ultimately lower our business costs, which is a savings that can be passed on
to patients in the form of more stable fees over time.
Examples of our green commitment include:
- When we at Trade Winds Dental moved into our current location last
year, Dr. Hennington chose to refurbish an already-existing dental office,
greatly reducing the environmental impact associated with new office
construction. We retained and refurbished existing flooring, window
treatments, phone systems, and light fixtures to reduce waste as much as
possible. Low VOC paints and stains were used, improving air quality
significantly. Furthermore, the old dental and office equipment, which were
replaced with more innovative technology, were either entered into a
recycling program or re-used in areas that do not have access to more
modern dental equipment.
- We use supplies that can be sterilized and re-used instead of
disposables that are simply thrown away and added to landfills whenever
- We recycle cardboard, office paper, plastic, aluminum cans, and
- We provide reusable cloth hand towels in patient and employee restrooms
instead of using disposable paper towels.
- We take digital x-rays, which reduce radiation exposure to patients and
eliminate harsh processing chemicals and materials associated with
conventional, film based x-rays.
- We use effective, eco-friendly cleaning products.
- We use an amalgam separator, a device which keeps silver fillings
containing mercury (removed from patient's mouths) from entering the
community water supply.
- We steam sterilize our instruments.
- Energy saver appliances were installed..
- Native, drought-tolerant plants that require less water make up our
- Live, indoor plants are a major component of our interior design,
improving air quality and providing a soothing environment.
- Uniforms, towels, covers, etc. are washed in-office using
eco-friendly products in our energy saver appliances. This eliminates not
only the impact of transport, but also, reduces the use of harsh chemicals
used in commercial laundries.
We have several other initiatives in the planning stages. We will
continuously be looking for new ways to reduce our office's carbon footprint.
Please check our website, blog, or Facebook page often for new updates.
Thank you for being a part of the commitment to all of our futures.
Back to top