In 2015, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon released a report stating that one in every three women worldwide have experienced some form of violence. And the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (http://ncadv.org/learn-more/statistics) issued these statistics:
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
These are some pretty disturbing statistics. They are some of the reasons Trade Winds Dental has teamed up with Hope Alliance. We have a reputation for being eco-friendly, sure, but we aren’t just working for the planet, we are working for the people on it.
What is Hope Alliance?
Hope Alliance was established in 1984 as a rape crisis center. Since then, the agency has expanded to serve all of Williamson County with outreach offices in Georgetown, Cedar Park, Taylor, Liberty Hill and Hutto and have included services for victims of domestic violence. Their goal is to inspire hope and healing with 24-hour emergency shelters, 24-hour crisis hotline, transitional housing, accompaniment services, legal advocacy, counseling, support groups, education, and prevention.
We join Hope Alliance in the belief that “physical, sexual, emotional and psychological abuse of one human being by another is unacceptable. We believe that all abuse diminishes or prohibits the full expression of life and growth that is every person’s right.” And now we are making it easy for YOU to join us in helping Hope Alliance: Bring your old, handheld toothbrushes to our office for recycling and we’ll donate $1 per toothbrush to Hope Alliance. For more information on Hope Alliance, please visit HopeAllianceTX.org.