Dry mouth, thrush, gum disease, and delayed healing are all special concerns for our patients with diabetes. The key to avoiding these conditions is having your diabetes under control. But what are your options when infection has weakened teeth beyond repair? In many cases, we recommend dental implants as permanent replacements for damaged teeth. The following are some key issues to understand about implants if you have diabetes.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are artificial replacement teeth that look and perform almost identically to natural teeth. Dental implant surgery provides a welcome alternative to dentures or bridgework, which are less secure in their placement and can damage surrounding healthy teeth.
How do implants work?
Dental implants are specially designed metal cylinders that are surgically placed into your jawbone, essentially becoming a replacement root. The cylinder fuses to the jawbone in a process called osseointegration. Once the implant has successfully bonded with the bone an artificial tooth is then attached.
Are implants effective for patients with diabetes?
Recent studies of dental implants with diabetic patients indicate success rates of higher than 90%. In the rare case that the implant does not fuse properly to the bone, it is removed and the procedure can be repeated.
How do I know if dental implants will work for me?
While the process of implantation takes longer than conventional treatments like bridges, the strength and permanence of implants make them an excellent long-term solution for tooth replacement. If you have diabetes and have lost one or more teeth, and your diabetes is controlled, consider implants. However, if your blood sugar is not under control, we recommend putting off any non-emergency dental care – including implants, dentures, and bridgework – until you’ve worked with your diabetes doctor to control it.
If you have any questions about dental implant surgery or how diabetes can affect your dental health, please let us know. We can assess your situation and advise you on the best course of treatment.
At Trade Winds Dental, we strive to make your treatment experience a convenient and enjoyable one. That is why we take so many steps to ensure patients are at ease while in our office. For example, we offer early morning appointments to better fit in your busy schedule. If needed, we will also schedule appointments with specialists in office, so that you do not have to. We communicate well with these specialists to better ensure continuity and comfort during the treatment process.
During your first visit, we work hard to determine your dental health goals, desires, and expectations before recommending treatment. This gives us a chance to take the time and explain all your options and benefits. Recently, technologies such as the Waterlase MD laser allow us to provide superior treatment at less cost and discomfort to you. The laser allows us to avoid surgery with a specialist in many cases, and can reduce the total number of treatment visits needed.
Finally, while waiting for your appointments, our modern waiting room provides complimentary coffee, tea, cocoa, and purified water for your convenience. Learn more about what makes Trade Winds Dental by scheduling an appointment today!
Dr. Hennington and his team love getting patient reviews. And lately, Trade Winds Dental has been getting some pretty great patient testimonials! We thought we’d share a recent thank you letter from one of our patients below. Enjoy!
When my son retired from his work at Texas Workforce Commission in fort Worth, he chose to move to Georgetown for the golf, fishing, and nature available. This meant leaving the dentist in Tulsa, Oklahoma who had taken care of my and my husband’s teeth for over 25 years. I found Trade Winds Dental and have been happy.
I was asked if I would like to contribute any comments on the staff at Trade Winds, and am pleased to comply. Each one of Dr. Hennington’s staff, including Dr. Hennington, makes me feel special. The care has been excellent and I feel fortunate to have chosen them. In fact, I recently changed insurance companies and could receive free prophylaxis care (cleaning) if I would change dentists. I choose to remain with Trade Winds.
On my first visit, Dr. Hennington asked me what I would like for him to do regarding my dental care. My response was to see to it that my teeth would last as long as I do. So far, it is working.
My Thanks to each one of them for their care and courtesy.
We receive questions about teeth whitening all of the time here at Trade Winds Dental, so we wanted to spell out a few of the facts to all of our patients.
• In-office products are more effective and pose less risk for complications than OTC products. Why? Materials are custom made for each patients mouth, maximizing the whitening gel’s contact with the tooth and minimizing gel loss from the tray, which increases whitening gel’s effectiveness. In office materials are maximum strength and do not contain any harmful additives. Some OTC products contain additives that could potentially cause problems. Finally, In office whitening can “jump start” the whitening effect
• Whitening toothpastes do not whiten teeth significantly and could be harmful to teeth due to their high abrasiveness.
• You cannot use whitening products during conventional orthodontic treatment( metal brackets/wires). Patients can, however whiten during Invisalign treatment, and whitening is included at no charge for all Invisalign patients at Trade Winds Dental.
• Some tooth discoloration may have a genetic component, but that does not mean that tooth whitening won’t be effective on those patients.
• The best way to maintain whitening effect is to “touch up” periodically by wearing your customized whitening trays for 30-45 minutes a day for 2-3 days. How often this is necessary differs with each patient, but on average every 1-3 months is sufficient.
• Whitening products are effective only on natural teeth, not dentures or on teeth with existing crowns(caps) or veneers.
At Trade Winds Dental, we strive to ensure our patients have an enjoyable experience with our doctor and staff. One of our patients, John B, wanted to share his experience and why he trusts Dr. Hennington and team with his family’s dental care.
Moving to a new community is a challenge. It requires searches for, among other things, new doctors, new church, new hairdresser and a dentist.
Just over 10 years ago, we made a good decision when we chose Trade Winds Dental. Dr. David Hennington and his very professional and competent staff have provided us excellent care from routine exams and emergencies to very complex dental procedures.
If anyone in Georgetown is seeking to replace a really good dentist from their past, they will be wise to seriously consider Trade Winds Dental.